A Single Stone to Himalaya
Mylaudy Dr. S. Rajadurai …
India transcends time in souls embodied by the people of India holding divine purpose beyond humanity. Dr. Rajadurai arrived into this humanity as hundreds of millions throughout India from a family deeply impoverished without real hope for prosperity. Resolute sense of purpose and humility built Dr. Rajadurai’s lifetime vision to contribute to society – thousands upon thousands of whom find inspiration by way of his scientific gifts, spirituality and personality.
Science is a vital element in our daily life be it necessity or luxury. The Family of Science impactfully touched Dr. Rajadurai since days of youth. During his youth, Dr. Rajadurai nurtured mind by vigorously becoming knowledgeable about innovations, leading ultimately to unique wisdom derived from faith and philosophy to science and technology. He has devoted over 40 years to scientific innovation, pioneering theory and application towards Mother Nature. As a scientist in the field of catalysis, free radical, physical chemistry and emission control, his innovations generate significant academic and industrial value, fundamentally revolutionizing the global approach to protection of the environment. All Endeavour’s of Dr. Rajadurai highlight the importance of wisdom above and beyond wealth, power and celebrity.
The best testament to this circularly parallel power is the journey of Dr. Rajadurai from India to America & America to India. While advancing the field of catalysis in U.S. Universities and Corporations, he converted his professional stature to the next generation of Science for Innovation. While living in the United States, he continuously supported Automotive Technology Development and Green Development in India. Dr. Rajadurai in collaboration with the automotive community encompasses the latest state of emissions to control pollution and eliminate harmful gases, including a unique set of fundamentals complementing the principles of CO2 balance. Dr. Rajadurai’s pioneering effort in the field of scientific agriculture for India by converting barren lands into cultivatable farms is an aid for pure green fixation of CO2.
Upon homecoming to India, Dr. Rajadurai devoted the whole of his passion to emission control and green development of the Nation. A teacher of the highest order, it is the Ethics of study in subject matter that he reinforces daily. His commitment to the rural communities that consist of 750 million-plus Indians expounds to cultivation of the people who are the souls to steward Indian greatness today. Dr. Rajadurai empowered the stature of his legendary scientific vision towards hope for generations of the future. The definition of catalysis itself transformative now through him as a philosophy of existence – words of his “The Divine Nine Catalysis” a powerful force of wisdom to create a Superior India and for all of humanity to be the absolute best.
Dr. Rajadurai is this bond. The impact of his lifetime is gold standard of innovation being as is divine purpose destined from India.
- M.Sc., Chemistry, Kerala University, India, 1975 (Top Student of the University – Gold Medalist)
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry (Catalysis), Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai, India, 1979
- Production and Marketing Management, Bowling Green State University, USA, 1987
- Computer Applications, University of Notre Dame, USA, 1988
- Executive Management Training for Successful Managers (Personal Decisions Inc.), USA, 1993
- Facilitator, Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, Covey Leadership Center, 1995
Graduate (B.Sc.) Courses Taught
- Organic Chemistry – 1980, 1981
- Physical Chemistry – 1983, 1984
- Advanced Analytical Chemistry – 1979, 1980
- General Chemistry – 1979, 1980, 1983, 1984
Post-Graduate (M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D.) Courses Taught
- Instrumental Analysis – 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984
- Chemical Kinetics – 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984
- Advanced Catalysis – 1984
- Quantum Chemistry – 1984, 1985
- Nuclear Chemistry – 1980
- Structural Inorganic Chemistry – 1980
- Molecular Spectroscopy – 1982, 1983, 1984
Industry – University Program Management
- Managed Computational Fluid Dynamics Multi Component and Multi-Physics Modeling at Belcan, Peoria, IL 2005-2007
- Managed Spectroscopic Analysis Program at Florida State University, 2004-05
- Managed Emission Technology Screening at South West Research Institute, San Antonio, 1996-03
- Cummins – University of Notre Dame Catalyst Development Program (Prof. J.J. Carberry, 1992-95)
- Cummins – Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory NOx Aftertreatment Program (Dr. Bernie Penetrande, 1992-95)
- Cummins – Washington University TAP Reactor Study on Microwave and Thermal Generation of Free Radicals for NOx Reduction (Prof. John Gleaves), 1993
- Team Member of the Cummins-Engelhard Lean NOx Catalyst Development Program, 1992-95
- Team Member of the Cummins – Ceramatec Electrochemical NOx Reduction Program, 1993-1995
- Research Program User at The High Temperature Materials Laboratory, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1994
- Cummins – Texas A&M University SNCR NOx Reduction Program, 1994 (Prof. Jerald Caton and Prof. D.W. Goodman)
- Coordinating Research Project with ARAI, SRM University, Adhiparashakthi College and Karpagam University.
- Chairman, Industry Institute Interaction Cell, Annai Vailankani College of Engineering.
- Inaugurated Green Technology Centre at James Engineering College, 2011
- Technical Leadership for Quality and Productivity Management, Cummins Engine Co., USA
- Common Approach for Continuous Improvement, Cummins Engine Co., USA
- Cummins Technical System (CTS) for Customer Led Quality, Cummins Engine Co., USA
- Techniques for Empowered Workforce Program, Cummins Engine Co., USA
- Presentation Skills for Effective Managers, Cummins Engine Co., USA
- Economic Value Added (EVA) and Total Value Management (TVM), Tenneco Inc., USA
- New Product Introduction System (NPIS) and Product Development Cycle (PDC), Tenneco Automotive, USA
- Technical Competitive Analysis (TCA) and Value Target Implementation, Tenneco Automotive, USA
- Concept to Customer (C2C), a Quality Product Development Process, ArvinMeritor Inc., USA
- AMPS and White Shirt for Lean Manufacturing, ArvinMeritor Inc., USA
- Life Fellow, Catalysis Society of India, 1978
- Life Member, Veeramamunivar Tamil Panpattu Mantram, 1982
- Life Fellow, Loyola Academy of Science, 1983
- Life Fellow, Bangladesh Chemical Society, 1985
- Life Fellow, Instrumental Society of India, 1985
- Fellow, American Chemical Society, 1986
- Member, Inter American Photochemical Society, 1988
- Fellow, Sigma Xi, 1988
- Life Fellow, Indian Chemical Society, 1989
- Member, North American Catalysis Society, 1990
- Member, American Association of Advancement of Science, 1991
- Fellow, Society of Automotive Engineers, 1994
- Steering Committee Member, Advanced Catalytic Converter Durability Consortium, 1997
- Member, Advancement of Automotive Converter Toptech Organizing Committee, 1997
- Member, Earth Vision, International Environmental Community, 1998
- Member, Environmental Vehicle Development, 1998
- Member, Society for the Advancement of Materials and Process Engineering, NASA, 2002
- Member, Core-Group Automotive Research (CAR), 2003
- Member, American Society of Engineers of Indian Origin, 2006
- Member, SAE India, 2010
- Member, Indian Society for Education and Environment, 2010
- Member, Society for the Advancement of Materials and Process Engineering, NASA, 2002
Sharda Motor Industries Pvt Ltd., India
Head of Research and Development (Since 2009)
Established R&D Center for Exhaust Product Development. Led Engineering Team for Emission Control & Noise Control System Development.
ACS Industries Inc., USA
Vice President, Exhaust Product Development (2004-09)
Established R&D and Developed Wiremesh Products for Catalyst System, Mounting System, Seal, and Mixers for SCR Systems, Variable Density DPF and LNT SCR Combination.
ArvinMeritor Inc., USA
Emission Strategist and Director of Emissions (2002-04)
Directed Strategic Planning and Emissions Control System Development.
Tenneco Automotive, USA
Director, Advanced Product Development (1996-2002)
Established Emission Control Advanced Product Development to Support Ford, DaimlerChrysler, GM, International Vehicle Group, Heavy Duty Specialty Market, and Global Emerging Markets.
Cummins Engine Company, USA
Research Leader (1992-1996)
Managed Research Program for Diesel Exhaust Aftertreatment.
MOTEC / Cummins Power Generation, USA
Director of Research (1990-92)
Managed Scientific and Engineering Research Project of Chemical and Catalytic Solutions for Fossil Fuel Combustion.
Carus Chemicals, USA
Senior Research Chemist (1990)
Carulite Catalyst Development, Ozone Decomposition Catalyst Development Programs, Powder Catalyst Coating Technique.
Bowling Green State University, USA
Research Associate (1987-88)
Organic Free Radical Synthesis and Photo Physical & Chemical Studies.
University of Notre Dame, USA
Research Associate Professor
(1985-87 and 1988-90)
Solid Oxide Solution Catalyst Development and Structure Sensitivity Study. Kinetic Studies Using Flash Photolysis and Pulse Radiolysis.
Loyola College, Chennai, India
Assistant Professor in Chemistry (1980-85)
Responsible for Teaching and Supervising Research Projects. Revived Catalyst Development.
The American College, Madurai, India
Assistant Professor in Chemistry (1979-80)
Teaching and Supervising Graduate Research Projects, Superintendent of Washburn Hall.
Awards & Recognition
- Fellow Award, Society of Automotive Engineers International (SAE), USA, 2003.
- Research Innovation Award, Tenneco Inc., 1998.
- Research Vision Award, Tenneco Automotive, 1999.
- General Manager’s Leadership Award, Tenneco Automotive, 1998.
- The Standing Innovation Research Award, Ron Baker Engineering Team, Chrysler Corporation, 1997.
- Mr. Converter Award, Charles Porter Engineering Team, Ford Motor Co, 1999.
- Board of Director and Officer, Manufacturers of Emission Control Association (MECA), 2000.
- Board of Director, US Fuel Cell Council, 2000.
- Board of Director, Walker Exhaust India Pvt. Ltd., 2000.
- Guest of Honor, 8th Australian Conference on Analytical Chemistry, Royal Australian Chemical Institute, Melbourne, Australia, April, 1985.
- United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Representative of India, Low Cost Analytical Equipment, 1985.
- Guest Speaker, Faraday Discussion of the Royal Society of Chemistry, Liverpool, London, April, 1989.
- Guest Speaker, Gordon Research Conference, Genesis of Vehicle Emission Control, New London, USA, June, 1990.
- Guest of Honor, UNESCO Workshop at Department of Chemistry, University of Dacca, Bangladesh, May, 1985.
- Guest Speaker, Great Lake Symposium, Bowling Green, OH, May, 1988.
- Visiting Scholar, University of Notre Dame, 1992.
- Adjunct Professor, Akron University, Akron, OH, 1991.
- United Nations Representative for Reducing Global Warming, 1998.
- Member, BMW Emission Technology Brainstorming Team, Atlanta, 1998.
- Chairman, Advanced Technology/Alternate Fuels Committee, MECA, 2000.
- Guest of Honor, Sterling Group Round Table Conference, British High Commission, Chennai, July, 2012.
- Guest of Honor, US Fuel Cell Council, Washington DC, May, 2002
- Member, Core Group Automotive Research, India, 2004.
- Scientists and Technologists of Indian Origin, Pravasi Bharatiya Divas, New Delhi, 2004.
- Guest Speaker, 4th National Symposium on Catalysis, IIT, Bombay, December, 1978.
- SAE India Southern Section Lifetime Accomplishment Award for Valuable Research Contributions, 2017.
- Dr. K.C.G. Verghese Excellence Award for Research & Achievements from Hindustan Group of Institution, 2017.
- Distinguished Research Professor Award, Loyola College, 1983.
- Best Professor Award, Loyola College, 1983.
- Gold Medal M.Sc. Chemistry from Kerala University, 1975.
- First prize in Teaching Competition from Kerala University, 1974.
- Winner of the Rolling Trophy, Gandhi Jayanthi Elocution Competition for three consecutive years (1969 – 1972).
- First Prize in Tamil Nadu Deiveega Peravai, Coaching Camp held at Parashakthi College, Courtallam, 1972.
- Tamil Nadu Deiveega Peravai, Kanyakumari District Representative, 1972.
- About Fifty Awards for Superior Oratorical Ability in Inter Collegiate Elocution Competition, 1971 – 1972. One among them is from Thiru. Kuntrakudi Adigalar and One from Thiru. Kirupanantha Variar.
- Elocution Competition Award, Loyola College, 1984.
- 2 Gold Medal & 1 Silver Medal in IIT Intercollegiate Weight Lifting (1976-1978). Captain of the Team, 1977.
- Guest of Honor, Hindustan University, Dr. Mahalingam College of Engineering and Technology, Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Academy of Maritime Education and Training University (AMET), James Engineering College, Adhiparasakthi College of Engineering, Karpagam University, SKR Engineering College, SRM University, Annai Vailankanni College of Engineering, Sri Shakthi Institute of Engineering & Technology, Velammal Engineering College, NPR College of Engineering & Technology, Loyola Institute of Technology and Science, Abdur Rahman University, Indian Institute of Technology, James Hospital School of Nursing, Nesamani Memorial Christian College, Vivekananda College, Pioneer Kumarasamy College, Mar Ivanios College.
- Governing Council Member, Annai Vailankanni College of Engineering, 2012.
- Research Advisory Board Member, Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, 2018.
- Board of Studies Member, Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, 2018.